Set on the same rocky plateau as Saint-Emilion and Pomerol, overlooking the magnificent Dordogne valley, the area was formerly nicknamed ‘Miracle Hills’ on account of the superb wines produced here. The vineyard of Château le Puy is the second-highest point in the Gironde department. The bulk of the current Château was built in 1832 by our ancestor Barthélemy Amoreau, but the oldest sections date from the early seventeenth century.
A scattering of brick and mud-walled ruins overlook the last traces of a Gallo-Roman settlement, while these hills were also the site of a prehistoric stone tool-cutting centre: flints are still occasionally unearthed today. Building for the twenty-first century and beyond, a new programme of renovation works is underway, reconciling history and modernity to preserve and promote the traditions which have been passed down from generation to generation.